Creative Ways to Protect Your Family And Your Mattress
As a provider for your family, it’s up to you to ensure there’s food on the table, a comfortable temperature maintained, and a general mood of happiness prevails within the walls of your home. It’s also up to you to ensure you protect the ones you love against the many possible dangers that lurk around every corner, and this is no easy task. That’s because there are so many potential things that could go wrong. From slipping in the bathroom to choking on a piece of ham and so much more, it’s impossible to consider them all.
While you can’t eliminate all dangers from impacting the ones you love the most, there are things you can do to minimize dangers and provide your family the best possible chance each and every day to avoid running into circumstances that could put them in danger. When you take the time to consider some of these possibilities, you can stop problems from infiltrating your life in the first place, and there are a number of creative ways in which you can protect your family.
Make Your Home Appear Occupied
Every day, thousands of homes are burglarized around the globe, and this can be devastating in itself. However, things get even worse when someone is home during the robbery, and this is the case about 30 percent of the time. When startled, burglars are known to inflict injury or even kill unexecting inhabitants.
In order to significantly reduce the chances that your or one of your loved ones fall victim, it’s important to always create the appearance that someone is always home. There are a variety of ways you can deter a robber, and just a few of these include:
- Set up a television or radio and leave it on near the entryways of the home.
- Set up lights on timers that turn on near entryways when it gets dark.
- Make sure you don’t leave mail in the mailbox for a couple of days as this can make it appear the family is on vacation.
- If you just don’t feel like answering the phone, turn the ringer off as a phone ringing off the hook makes it appear no one is home.
Protecting Against Creepy Crawlers
Some of the most dangerous elements in your home are often those you can’t even see, and this type of danger can be easily introduced when an infestation makes its way within the walls of your home. The scary thing is that you can often become infested without ever even knowing it as various types of bugs, arachnids, and other pests can take up residence within the walls of your home invisible to the naked eye. Just a few of the diseases that can be spread include:
- Infectious viral diseases such as lymphocytic choriomeningitis
- Black plague
It can be easy to overlook preparation for infestations as we typically don’t think much about it until a problem manifests .However, once this happens, it can prove incredibly difficult to overcome. Just a few things you can do to decrease your chances of developing such a problem include:
- Safe guard your mattress against bed bugs with a mattress protector
- Keep a tight lid on trash can
- Clean up soon after each and every meal
- Remove any clutter that may have accumulated in the home
- Periodically use pest control products such as sprays
- Check pets for fleas before they come indoors
Poison Control Measures
There are likely a number of highly dangerous compounds within your home, and, especially if you have small children or pets in the home, it’s important that you consider this fact as it can be very easy to overlook. It only takes a few seconds for the wrong liquid to become ingested, and, within just minutes, it can be too late for irreparable damage to set in. Take the time to thoroughly assess your home by:
- Locking any and all medications away in a medicine cabinet
- Assessing all medications and ensuring those which have expired are properly disposed of
- Storing all household cleaning products out of reach of children and pets
- Posting the phone number of poison control in a spot that’s easy to see from your phone
Peace-of-Mind Your Family Deserves
It’s likely your home is one of the largest financial investments you’ve ever made in your life and for good reason. Here, you’ll make some of your most meaningful memories, and you’ll find refuge within its wall to protect you from the outside element. Although we spend, on average, $188,900 on our homes, the truth remains that they aren’t able to offer us 100 percent protection from the many possibilities that face us each and every day.
While you can’t eliminate negative circumstances from your life, you can take measures to reduce your chances of falling victim while within the walls of your home. When you follow these helpful tips, you can set yourself up for success and reduce the chances that the ones you love become injured under your watch.